Monday, April 27, 2015

Community

People need other people.

I mentioned that saying in an earlier blog post. It's one of the most important concepts to grasp in my opinion. It's very important that you have other people in your life that you cant turn to when something happens. Whether that something is good or bad, being able to talk about it with another person or group of people helps you process it. They are your community.

Not all communities are good though. The difference between a good a bad community can be explained by answering one question: Why are these people in my life?

You want to keep a community that pushes you in a positive way, that wants to see you be the best version of yourself, and that makes you feel better after being around them. Think of the reasons you hang out with these people. What commonalities are shared across the group? Are your shared interests things that are healthy or unhealthy for you?

Spotting a bad community can be difficult, especially if it's some of the people you are closest to. To give an example, I've had friends in the past that, even though we got along great, the habits that were being formed and encouraged weren't the best. It's hard to remove yourself from a group you've become so close with but ALWAYS be keeping in mind your well being. If you are going to be in a better place mentally without those people, it is completely okay to let yourself move on.

It's also not good to solely invest yourself in just one community. Not everyone is going to get along 100% of the time so if things start getting tense in one group, you might need other people to turn to. Same goes for sharing your entire self and story with just one person. That's not healthy for either party. It's great to talk about your story and it deserves to be heard, but think of WHO deserves to hear it.

Again, people need other people. Make sure you have some good communities in your life and don't feel guilty removing the negative. 


1 comment:

  1. I've been in many good communities, but also several bad ones. I can always tell by the "fruit" I see in my life...after I spend time with these people, do I feel encouraged and built up and motivated to be a better person? Or do I feel lazy, unmotivated, and stagnant? I continually evaluate my relationships with others to make sure I am in good company.

    ReplyDelete