Thursday, February 5, 2015

First Things First

Hi there! Rachel here and welcome to my blog! I'm a senior at Washburn University and just decided to change my major from forensic chemistry to mass media. It's quite the 180 but I'm much happier with the new choice and look forward to diving right in. I've lived in Topeka since I've been in college but I grew up a few hours south of here in Wichita. Now, more importantly, what will this blog be about?

I will be focusing on mental health awareness. Everything from decreasing the stigma to how to be a friend/loved one of someone who struggles to helpful resources. I am involved with the UChapters program of To Write Love On Her Arms here at Washburn and will probably be referencing them a lot throughout this blogging experience. This is something I have always been very passionate about and hits home on many levels. Mostly, I wanted to make this blog to continue to make mental health something that's less taboo in our society and let people know that it's completely okay to talk about. I think the more people know the less scared they feel to start the conversation.

To end this little introduction, I want to leave you with a saying that TWLOHA uses quite frequently:

"People need other people"

No comments:

Post a Comment